At their Annual Endorsement Meeting on Saturday, August 27, 2016, the Wellstone Democratic Renewal Club gave their endorsement to Nanci Armstrong-Temple for District 2 Berkeley City Council. This is an important endorsement from a progressive organization that seeks to build a grassroots movement for progressive change by transforming the Democratic Party so that it becomes a vehicle for mobilization of progressive values and political power.
The format for the endorsement process included a candidate forum, during which Nanci and her rivals for the District 2 seat, Darryl Moore (incumbent) and Cheryl Davila, were asked a series of questions. Nanci cast a clear vision for justice for Berkeley residents and ethical leadership in city government in three areas:
- Housing: Nanci laid out three important proposals to help deal with the crisis of increasing numbers of unhoused people
- Declaration of a housing emergency
- Put a moratorium on Rent Hike Evictions
- Below Market Rate Housing
- Police Reform: Nanci shared her vision for police in the city of Berkeley.
- Immediately decrease the police budget by 35%.
- Create an independent Police Review Board
- Repeal the Police Bill of Rights that allows killer cops to stay employed
- Create an independent dispatch system to reduce the number of calls which could be diverted to other community resources such as mental health services or other hotlines.
- Zero Net Energy and Zero Waste Goals: Environmental concerns are key to Nanci's platform. She was able to lay out several proposals, including:
- Continue the collaboration with groups like STOPWASTE.ORG which has already brought a 50% decrease in waste since its inception.
- Giving more attention toward providing for electric vehicles
- Increase local food sources, attending to community gardens and neighborhood food production